Have you seen or ridden a Holsteiner horse? Do you know where they come from? Originating in Germany, the Holsteiner is thought to be the oldest breed of warmblood. It excels at a number of athletic events including show jumping, dressage, and combined driving. Let’s see how you do in today’s T/F quiz:
- Holsteiner horses average between 64 to 68 inches tall.
- Holsteiner horses can be bay, black, brown, gray and white.
- The average lifespan of a Holsteiner horse is 35-40 years.
- This horse was originally bred to be a multi-purpose utility horse.
- In the year 1797 well over 30,000 Holsteiner horses were being exported from Germany.
- In 1976, Holsteiners dominated the Equestrian Olympics.
- There were 5,543 Holsteiner registered in North America in 2005.
- Holsteiners are known for their arched, high-set necks.
- Organized horse breeding in Holsteiner was first conducted in the monasteries of Uetersen (a place in Germany formally called Holstein) monks.
- Palomino and buckskin are not acceptable colors for the Holsteiner.
Let me know if you got at least eight of these questions correct. If so, then you are a Holsteiner Horse expert! Here are the answers:
- F The average lifespan of a Holsteiner is 20 years, which is slightly worse than the average for all horse breeds.
- F In the year 1797 well over 10,000 Holsteiner were being exported from Germany.
Well, do you know your horse facts about Holsteiner horses? If you want to learn more, look up these other websites for you to check up on additional facts about the beautiful Holsteiner horse breed:
(All information in this blog is referenced from the above websites)
Have you read this amazing book yet?
The Long Ride Home
The search begins for the parents Skye never knew. But what will happen if she finds them? On a trip to South Carolina with her foster family, Skye gets the shock of her life when the waitress at a local diner seems to recognize her. The woman proves to be Skye’s long-lost Aunt Millie—Skye’s first-ever contact with her flesh-and-blood family! As Skye and Mom and Dad Chambers attempt to track down her real parents with Millie’s help. Skye’s foster sister and best friend, Morgan, struggles with her own family regrets. More is at stake than anyone can imagine—and the outcome is one that only a truly amazing God can bring about.