The Sable Island Horse, sometimes Sable Island Pony, is a type of small wild horse found on Sable Island, an island off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada. It is small, often pony sized, but with a horse characteristics and ancestors, and it is usually dark in color. Let’s see how you do in today’s T/F quiz:
1. The first horses were released on the island in the late nineteenth century, and soon became wild.
2. By the 1950s they were in danger of becoming extinct.
3. In 2007, the Sable Island horse was declared the official horse of Nova Scotia.
4. The Sable Island horse stands between 52 and 56 inches high.
5. Male Sable Island horses weigh about 890 pounds.
6. About half of the horses on the island are Bbay in color, the rest being chestnut, palomino and black.
7. The population of Sable Island horses is 50 to 60 family bands.
8. In 1962 the Sable Island horses were protected by federal law.
9. The average Sable Island horse family band is 4-8 horses.
10. Sable Island horse herd numbers fluctuate between 160 and 360 animals.
Let me know if you got at least eight of these questions correct. If so, then you are a Sable Island horse expert! Here are the answers:
1. F The first horses were released on the island in the late eighteenth century, and soon became wild.
3. F In 2008, the Sable Island horse was declared the official horse of Nova Scotia.
5. F Male Sable Island horses weigh about 790 pounds.
7. F The population of Sable Island horses is 40 to 50 family bands.
Well, do you know your horse facts about Sable Island horses? If you want to learn more, look up these other websites for you to check up on additional facts about the beautiful Sable Island horse breed:
(All information in this blog is referenced from the above websites)
Have you read this awesome book yet?
The Long Ride Home
The search begins for the parents Skye never knew. But what will happen if she finds them?
On a trip to South Carolina with her foster family, Skye gets the shock of her life when the waitress at a local diner seems to recognize her. The woman proves to be Skye’s long-lost Aunt Millie—Skye’s first-ever contact with her flesh-and-blood family!
As Skye and Mom and Dad Chambers attempt to track down her real parents with Millie’s help. Skye’s foster sister and best friend, Morgan, struggles with her own family regrets. More is at stake than anyone can imagine—and the outcome is one that only a truly amazing God can bring about.’