Today’s Horse Facts: The Hanoverian
(All facts taken from the websites cited at the end of the post)
If you’re a horse lover like me, you probably love to watch horse shows and especially the Olympics, which features three competitions for horses. Of course, most of the shows I’ve seen have been from a FAR distance—I’m sitting on my sofa watching the horses perform on a television program.
One of those horses that you’ve most likely seen and didn’t know its name is the Hanoverian. So let’s take our T/F quiz and learn about this amazing breed:
- The Hanoverian is a warmblood that originated in Spain.
- By the end of the 18th Century, this horse breed had become a high-class coach horse.
- After World War 2, Quarter Horses were used to refine the breed.
- This breed is an excellent jumper.
- Hanoverians can be any color.
- This breed is mostly between 16 and 16.2 hands high.
- One of the most famous Hanoverians is an 1992 Olympic gold winner jumper named Top Gun.
- The Hanoverian brand is always placed on the right hindquarter of foals accepted into the Hanoverian Society breed’s registry.
- The American Hanoverian Society was started in 1958 to help preserve the breed.
- Hanoverian horses have gaits for even showing in dressage.
Here are the answers to today’s horse facts quiz. Let’s see how you did:
- F The Hanoverian is a warmblood that originated in Germany.
- F Thoroughbreds were used to refine the breed.
- F They’re usually solid browns or blacks with little white. Buckskins, palominos, and cremellos are not allowed to be registered.
- F The AHS was started in 1978.
Now, tell me if you knew much about gorgeous breed of horse. I sure didn’t, so I’m glad I chose this spectular horse to feature today!
To learn more about this very versatile horse, visit:
P.S. HORSE LOVERS AND READERS, CHECK THIS BOOK OUT!
THE LONG RIDE HOME
BOOK EIGHT in The Keystone Stables Series
The search begins for the parents Skye never knew. But what will happen if she finds them? On a trip to South Carolina with her foster family, Skye gets the shock of her life when the waitress at a local diner seems to recognize her. The woman proves to be Skye’s long-lost Aunt Millie—Skye’s first-ever contact with her flesh-and-blood family! As Skye and Mom and Dad Chambers attempt to track down her real parents with Millie’s help, Skye’s foster sister and best friend, Morgan, struggles with her own family regrets. More is at stake than anyone can imagine—and the outcome is one that only a truly amazing God can bring about.
To order, go to either http://www.marshahubler.com or http://www.amazon.com/Long-Ride-Home-Keystone-Stables/dp/0310716926/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367103976&sr=1-1&keywords=the+Long+Ride+Home+by+Marsha+Hubler